Switzerland offers many romantic and picturesque locations to elope to that don’t involve hiking, like easily accessible lakes, valleys, cities and smaller towns.
If you do want to go up into the mountains without hiking, there are several ways to reach mountain peaks:
- Cable Cars and Gondolas: Switzerland has an extensive network of cable cars and gondolas that can take you to some of the highest peaks without having to hike. For example, the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in Zermatt can be reached via cable car.
- Funiculars: Funiculars are another popular way to reach mountain peaks in Switzerland. These are steep railways that climb up mountains and are operated by cable systems, like the funicular in Stoos that takes you to the top of the Fronalpstock mountain.
- Rack Railways: Rack railways are specially designed trains that can climb steep inclines by using a cogwheel that meshes with a rack in the track. E.g. the Jungfraujoch railway takes passengers to the highest railway station in Europe.
- Helicopter Tours: If you’re looking for a more scenic way to reach mountain peaks, you could consider taking a helicopter tour. Many tour companies offer helicopter flights over the Swiss Alps, as well as land at some of the most incredible locations, allowing you to see some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world.
- Car or Bus: Another option is to take a car or bus that can take you to some of the most popular mountain peaks in Switzerland, as well as to some of the more secluded areas. This can be a great way to see the mountains if you’re not wanting to hike.